Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Did God help Tebow win? Yes or No or....


I'm probably the LAST person who should attempt to write a blog about Tim Tebow. I've been someone who has done everything possible to avoid any and all Tebow talk this past season- not because I'm unimpressed with the outspoken Christian quarterback. He seems like a good guy. He is bold in talking about his faith. And who can criticize him for standing up for what he believes and living it out?

As Americans, even those of different faiths, we should feel extremely proud that we live in a country that allows us the freedom to express our individual religious beliefs so uniquely and publicly. Personally, I'm just not the biggest football watcher and the Tebowing thing just hasn't been something that has motivated me in my own faith.  But Tebow mania has been simply unavoidable this season. And more recently, it's become impossible to not only ignore the topic but to avoid having an opinion...especially when news organziations repeatedly poll Americans asking "Do you believe God helps Tebow win?" Yes or No.

Now let me give a brief disclaimer...this blog is NOT a slam against Tebow. He's proven to be a successful athlete. His commitment to his faith is to be applauded. And I've been so intrigued at the sweeping reaction of teenagers encouraged in their own faith because of him.

I'm just highly concerned with the oversimplied way the media, and even some Christians, have portrayed God.  So before I offer my own point of view on whether I believe God helped Tebow succeed or not, let me back up a few years.

In the fall of 2010, it wasn't Tim Tebow and the Florida Gators who were competing in the Rose Bowl for the National championship title. Rather, Tebow's team was out and he was watching the game on tv. Instead, it was Colt McCoy, quarterback for the Texas Longhorns and now quarterback for the Cleveland Browns.  It was a game I'll never forget as I was helping my husband cheer for his Horns considering my Sooners' season was over as well. Plus, I admit I liked Colt. He was super talented and a solid Christian too. Like Tebow, he wasn't shy about his faith...though they expressed it differently as different individuals. Yet, in just the first quarter of the game, Colt experienced one of the most bizarre fluke injuries I've ever seen in football. He was tackled during the Longhorns first drive of the game but got up without any feeling to his arm.  Unfortunately, it was bad enough that the senior quarterback was unable to return to play the rest of the game and tragically sealed his final game in college football with a loss as he helplessly watched from the locker room. Yet, the most momentous part of the night was after the game when Colt gave an interview on the verge of tears. He shared how he couldn't explain what happened but that his faith in God was strong and he was still 'standing on the rock'.

Did God make Colt lose? Why didn't God help Colt win that game?

I won't attempt to answer any of those questions because the Bible is clear in Isaiah 55:8, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD." To me, this means there is no way we can ever fully understand or explain God. He is far bigger than us or what we can comprehend. On this side of Heaven, we'll likely never know why Colt was injured or why something so tragic happened to him.

Yet while I don't believe God wanted Colt to lose, I also am very hesitant to conclude that God 'wants' certain players or teams to win. Let me clarify, I do believe God loves each of us, that He helps us and that He wants what's best for us. In fact, God tells us, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Phil. 4:6) Plus, "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matt. 21:22)

So what happened to Colt? Did he screw up?

No. Instead, I defer to the next few lines in Isaiah where God emphasizes again, "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

I do think God can and does help us. As a former college runner, I prayed before every race (and throughout) that God would help me. I prayed that He would calm my nerves, that He would help me to do my best and that He would give me strength. And while I believe God -many- times answered my prayers, I didn't always win. As much as I would have loved to have finished first, it wasn't always the outcome.

So did God help Tebow win? I would answer YES ...and NO. Yes, I believe God helped Tebow remain calm under pressure and have certain characteristics that are godly. And sometimes, those qualities likely helped Tebow win. But sometimes God's ways are not our ways...and as much as Tebow fans would have loved to have seen the Broncos end up at the Super Bowl, that wasn't how this season ended. No, Tebow wasn't any less of a Christian during his last matchup against the Patriots. God likely wasn't upset nor helped Tebow lose. But I do believe God was and is with each of us who call on Him for help. And He is always faithfully for us, whether we win....or lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment